Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Okay so after the first day of classes (or rather after my first class)



Okay so after the first day of classes (or rather after my first class)
Things I have noted
It’s much much better to be post grad than to be in undergrad. Sure the work is intense and stuff you are expected to do is a lot but generally doing what you love is a great thing.
Just started with refugees and human rights and I am supposed to do some reading. There was some interesting chemistry going on in class what with us having a professor as one of the students now grilling our course coordinator who is another professor... really interesting. And the same professor-student making sweeping statements about Zambia not being welcoming to Refugees and the Zambian in our class getting up in arms defending her country... eh it was hot! So we are like 5 blacks: 2 Tanzanians (I know! I was amazed too… she is married to a Burundian refugee and so is in south Africa as a refugee as well), 1 Kenyan, 1 Zimbabwean, 1 Zambian... and the rest of the 11 people class were white persons from Australia, Denmark, Germany, USA, 2 south Africans and the like. So we have a very diverse class and frankly I love it… very challenging—prima facie—but I’m looking forward to learning more of a topic I wasn’t so familiar with and contributing new knowledge to the class.
We have a course outline but are expected to do more than just follow it and read the expected readings. We do not have an exam at the end but rather a 5000 word essay and seminar presentations, a test and class contributions so as u can guess I am trying to speak up but u can be assured I do not want to make sweeping statements and stuff that just makes you sound ignorant. So I’m watching what I say, in a nice way though and not overly vetting my thoughts.
We have books that we are supposed to read, articles, cases (btw I volunteered to present a case on class next week), legislations and so forth. I’m actually happy we are doing a comparison of the south African law (albeit not so much) but just generally I am happy coz knowing about another place gives you a broader understanding of the situation back at home and a good place to learn the successes and failures of other countries so you can use them to develop your own. 
The library is great! The librarians are helpful. They do have a reserve section where you are only allowed a book for 3 hours (depicts how stressful it can be) but the library is quiet, nice, good chairs, ample space and many computers so you just take your pick.
I am thinking of signing up for dance classes. And today is the trial run.... so that is why despite the fact that I am in sore need of going home and sitting on my nice table and chair, I am still here writing this journal and waiting for 5 o’clock to tick. Thing is dance is the furthest I’ll ever get to exercising, I have come to realize that and I want to enjoy that. **************was here a couple of minutes ago, I hadn’t seen him in a while—since last year July... so it was good catching up. Anyway to get back to the story, he told me to sign up with his supervisor who goes hiking every Sunday morning..eh! me I just told him an outright no. I am not interested. But now I’m having second thoughts.. I might die of diabetes and pressure if I don’t start taking care of my body.. but to console myself, dancing is baby steps  and its fun! (or so I hope) and will help me forget completely about school and law. Which is a great thing altogether.
Other than that, cheers!
Gotta read a chapter of a book to make up for the past, then read 2 more chapters for next week, cases, articles, etc etc.. all part of mandatory-[primary reading.
Bye


the ************* are in place of a name.. cant be divulging other peoples without their consent names now can we?

3 comments:

  1. Don't think twice about the hiking. Just do it. Even if its just once. You may find you love it and it is just one of those other things that helps you exercise, appreciate the natural diversity of the place you are living in and get out of your comfort zone all at once. NB: I personally hate hiking, but that is entirely not the point. Once won't kill you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hike away...i'm yet to try it guess i need to step out of my comfort zone too but it just doesn't appeal to me one bit! The dancing yeah that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dancing classes conflicted with my lectures! can you believe it? so now i am left with no dance classes.. oh well.... imma hike Sarah.. one of these days i will as soon as i get a hiking partner, off i go.. and Judy... when you start hiking, tell me.

    ReplyDelete